google

Google
 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Capello - Captain is my choice




England coach Fabio Capello insists it was his choice not to pick John Terry as captain for the match with France on Wednesday.

The Chelsea star - skipper under previous boss Steve McClaren - was overlooked on Tuesday as Rio Ferdinand was appointed by the Italian to lead England out at the Stade de France in Paris.


Ferdinand takes charge after Steven Gerrard led out his country in Capello's opening match against Switzerland, but the Italian insists the Football Association put no pressure on him not to select Terry.


The FA is looking to improve the image of game and part of that is to make sure players do not berate officials - Terry was involved in the high-profile Ashley Cole incident where a number of Chelsea players surrounded referee Mike Riley earlier this month after a challenge on Tottenham's Alan Hutton.

No pressure

But Capello insists he was not influenced at all by his bosses at Soho Square.


"I wasn't put under any pressure and all the decisions I've made, technical or otherwise, have been my decisions. My choices," insisted Capello who looks set to rotate the armband amongst senior players until the World Cup qualifiers begin in September.


"I've got my own eyes, I can see things and I can understand things for myself.


"I said I would rotate the captains. I will have a permanent captain from August. Until then, John Terry has a chance to become England captain."


Capello set out his own list of credentials for any captain.


"A captain must be an example to follow in training and a leader during the game," he said.


"And, of course, I would hope he could be an example, a role model outside the game - in life - as well. That's very important, always. Not just for the England captain, but for everything that we, as sportsmen, show youngsters. That is very important. He has to be an example."

No comments:

Mr woo again

Mr woo amazing freestyle

Ronaldo my season my style